A glass of scotch, an ink pen, and notepads, a room filled with smoke and a guy in the suit are some images that come to mind when you think about Advertising industry back in the ’90s.
As an industry, advertising has evolved with trends, society, political situations and the way consumer adopted innovative approaches to consume the data, services. The mediums and the way we advertise and market products have changed significantly.
Therefore, when we talk about the future of advertising agencies, we must see what’s changed in all these years and what remained the same.
- A decade ago the key focus was to please and target the Rich and privileged class of the society. But today, brands are more concerned about the common man.
- Today, advertising is barely about the product but everything around it. A brand is naturally expected to inform, entertain, educate and offer utility.
- Specialised knowledge is beneficial but it’s not enough. Agency is expected to provide 360-degree services. It’s not about the specialty anymore. The more versatile you are, the better the chances of an agency’s survival.
- The user-generated content. Today it’s more about community building than just selling a product. Why? Because people trust other people, not brands.
- New traditions are welcomed if proved to be bold and right.
- Agencies are much faster, focused and efficient.
What remained the same?
- “Advertising is based on one thing: Happiness!” The methods of communicating and providing services may have changed but it doesn’t change the fact that Advertising is still about giving people what they want. Sometimes by telling the difference between, “What they want and what they essentially need!”
- The content remains the king!
- The client is always right.
- Advertising is still about Ideas, creativity, and personality.
- The constant need for experimentation.
- The cleverest ideas always come under pressure and at the last moment.
- Traditional Advertising, nonetheless, has a long-lasting impact.
We have come a long way since the Golden Age of advertising but the industry is constantly evolving. Today agencies need to focus more on community building, creating a unique experience that feels authenticate to the customers and the client.